Friday, August 28, 2009

Mr. Golden Sun

Vacation was great! I needed another couple of weeks. We went to Alberta to visit my husband’s and his family. The cooler, rainy weather in Ontario followed me to Alberta and now back again to Ontario. A storm we had last week snapped the head off one of my son’s sunflowers. They are remarkably resilient. I’m amazed this one survived given it’s head is very weekly attached to it’s stalk.

One of the things we wanted to see this time around was the Columbia Icefield. To that end, we headed toward Red Deer and camped there for a couple of nights. It was the first time the children and I had ever been camping. The icefield was breathtaking. It is very odd to have to bundle up in the middle of summer to go onto an ice field. We even drank glacier water!



We went to Jasper in the Rockies to camp that night. It’s bear country. Luckily, the only wild life we saw was bighorn sheep.

On the way back to High River, we stopped by Sunwapta Falls and saw a very interesting van.


The next day, we went to Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump. It’s a UNESCO national heritage site and has a fabulous visitor centre.And here’s my favourite rainbow picture to date.
It was a good vacation but it was really good to be home again.

5 comments:

Zel, The Grimm Witch said...

Thank you so much for sharing your pics. The views are magical...that word doesn't do them justic at all. And the big horn sheep are remarkable...don't normally see those guys roaming down by me in Jersey:) And was that Wonder Woman on that van?:)

Fran said...

Thanks, Zel! Yes, that is Wonder Woman. Sorry about the resolution; I didn't realize it would be illegible. The van says, "My other vehicle is an invisible plane."

Lupie said...

OMG So beautiful!!!!!
I must do more traveling.

Pat said...

and your trip was blessed with a rainbow, how wonderful

lara griffiths said...

what wonderful photos! i bet you had a wonderful time!