Monday, February 3, 2014

I'm Back!

Hello Everyone!  This is strange.  It's been almost 4 years since my last blog post and I haven't even been able to visit Ravelry that often.  I don't know where the time went.  Life got so busy with work, family illnesses and deaths, there seemed little time for anything else.

I have been steadily practicing traditional Okinawan Goju-Ryu karate under the guidance of the IOGKF (International Okinawan Goju-Ryu Karate-Do Federation) for the last 4 years which has helped me keep my sanity through the extremely stressful times.  I just got my brown belt in December!

As my bio on the side says, I've also gone down to part time work so I could be there more for my family.  I won't bore you with details now; that will come out steadily over time as I post more.  This post is to update you on the three major knitting accomplishments of my last year.

Sushi Socks

My husband loves my hand-knitted socks.  There was a cute kit called Sushi Socks at a local yarn store which has since closed down.  Balls of yarn were died to look like sushi rolls.  My husband chose the Ocean-Toes pattern from Cat Bordhi's, New Pathways for Sock Knitters Book 1.  Of course, the fact that he has size 15, triple E width feet, means I have to adapt everything to fit him.  I think it turned out quite well.

Samurai Kabuto

 
We love funky hats in our family.  My son requested the Samurai Kabuto from Vicki Square's, Folk Hats.I substituted yarn, so once again, adaptations.  I'm very pleased with the results.















Frontière


My little princess chose the Frontière also from Vicki Square's book referenced above.  Once again, I substituted yarn and therefore some re-sizing and some ad-lib knitting so it would fit her head properly.  

The other little variation I did was to not use yarn to make French knots that would look like little pearls.  I sewed on faux pearl beads.  As you can see, she is ecstatic.





That's all for now.  I plan to blog again soon with what I hope will be more interesting knitting for all.





1 comment:

Lupie said...

So glad to see you back. I also took a break from my blog and just started it up again.
Those hats are amazing and I love the socks. You are so inspirational and I am happy you are blogging again!