Saturday, March 21, 2009

St. George’s Cross Baby Blanket Finished!

It’s done! At long last, it’s done!

It’s not that it was hard, on the contrary. It was just a lack of time that prevented progress. I’m pleased with the results and how flat my mitred corners lie.

The final dimensions are approximately 30” x 36”. It’s not blocked. I mean, why bother when it’s going to be stretched over a baby carrier or pulled by tiny fists or chewed on by tiny gums.

To recap, I picked up stitches all around the edge of the St. George’s cross portion using 4 circular needles.

I kept knitting using directional mitred increases at the corners and incorporating the Inverness Diamond pattern into the blue border.
I ended by using an I-cord edging which was useful in binding off simultaneously. What do I mean by this? When I was ready to bind off (this begins at a corner in my case), I cast on three stitches on the left needle where I already had stitches. *Knit the first two stitches individually, slip the third, knit the next stitch on the left needle. Insert the left needle in front of last two stitches on the right needle and knit them together. Pass all three stitches back onto the left needle. Repeat from *. By doing this, you are casting off your stitches one at a time but creating a smooth I-cord edging while you’re doing it. This is my modified version of a method in Nicky Epstein’s book, Knitting Over The Edge: Unique Ribs Cords Appliques Color Eclectic - The Second Essential Collection of Decorative Borders.
To neatly finish off the I-cord edging, I used Kitchener Stitch to graft the beginning to the end seamlessly. Aside from the knitty link I have here for the Kitchener Stitch, there are many internet resources like YouTube that demonstrate it.

Yup, I have to say, I’m quite pleased with the results.

5 comments:

lara griffiths said...

i love it.

not at all able to pull off what you made~ so i truly appreciate the difficulty.. even if you don't!

:)

Alex said...

Wow!!! I really wish I could knit like this. I'll have to have another go between semester 1 & 2.

passionknitone said...

Wow, that's beautiful. Nice job. Someday when I have the guts to try something this hard I'll revisit your pictures.

Anonymous said...

Wow, this turned out so beautiful! Your miters are amazing.

Fran said...

Thanks everyone!